Building Department

Mike Logue
Building Inspector
240 Lincoln Street
Lander, WY 82520
Fax 307-332-4317

The Building Inspector can be reached in the office 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. each work day.

If you have any other questions, feel free to call and ask us. There are no bad questions
and we prefer you ask them before you start and allow us to help you through your project.
We work for you and this process should be smooth and not confusing and that is our goal.


Flooding is the #1 hazard we face in the state of Wyoming and it doesn’t take much water to cause significant damage to a structure.  With the spring runoff season right around the corner there is never a better to talk with your residents about taking preparedness steps to protect their property including purchasing flood insurance.  Many people are not aware that damage from flood is typically not covered under a homeowners insurance policy.  It requires a separate flood policy.  Also, many people believe federal disaster assistance will cover them. Not always! The President must first declare a flood a federal disaster; any assistance received is usually a loan that has to be repaid with interest.

Typically, there’s a 30 day waiting period from date of purchase before a new policy goes into effect so it is very important residents talk to their insurance agents now in advance of flooding to get coverage.  Policies are available to homeowners, condo owners, apartment owners, renters and business owners. The cost of  premiums is determined by the level of risk, how much coverage is purchased, the deductible, and the age, elevation and type of building. The average premium for a residential flood insurance policy is less than $2 a day. For a single family dwelling outside of a mapped high risk area, the premiums may be even lower. The Preferred Risk Policy (PRP) is available for residential and commercial properties located outside of mapped high risk areas, and premiums start at less than $130 a year.

Residents should talk to their agent or go to for more information on flood insurance.

National Flood Insurance Hazard Layer – — Type in your street address, city and state in the search window.

Setback Distances

Setbacks vary depending on the zone you are located in. Generally the setbacks are measured from the farthest point of the curb from the structure and the property lines. Call to find out what your zone requires. Detached buildings are buildings that are at least ten feet from the main structure and the setbacks depend on the size of the detached building. Detached buildings less than 100 square feet. in size can be placed within 2 feet of the side and rear property lines, detached structures 200 square feet and over must be at least 5 feet from the side and rear property lines

How much will a building permit cost me?
The permit is based on the value of the structure or the project. If it is a new structure, it is determined by the square footage being built and if it is a remodel, it is based on the actual cost of the remodel. Using a chart showing structure values, the actual permit cost is a portion of that value. Call for exact numbers.

Are permits expensive?
Not really. The City of Lander fee schedules were updated in 2003. The reason for the cost of permits is not to make money but to cover the inspection costs.

How long does it take to get a permit?
If you have all of the information we need, it can take minutes. You will need drawings of what you are proposing to build, sizes, where it sits on the property in relation to the property lines, and information on what kind or type of construction you are proposing such as wood, masonry, or steel and perhaps the actual costs you are expecting.

Can I do the work myself on my project?
Yes you can. Local and state laws permit you to do your own work if you choose on however much of your project you may choose to do. You will be required to meet all the Code requirements that apply to the work you are doing, but a phone call to set up a prebuild meeting with your inspector will answer any questions you may have and keep you from getting in over your head.How do I know who is a good contractor to hire?
This should be done by asking the contractor for references and then calling to see if the references were happy with the work they performed. The City of Lander also requires licenses for contractors so we can better protect your choice and assure they are bonded or insured. A call to the City can tell you if the contractor is licensed and qualified. We can’t recommend contractors but we can tell you who is licensed and qualified.

How long is a pemtit good for and what if I don’t get finished by the time it expires?
A permit is only good for 120 days generally but as long as work is proceeding and moving ahead in a timely manner, an extension is as easy as a phone call. If work stops for some reason and time expires and no work has been done for some time, it may be necessary for you to reapply for a new permit.

How often do I need to get inspections?
We have a regular schedule of when inspections are needed and will give you that list when you receive your permit. We are here to help you with your project and make this process as smooth and painless as we can and not to make hoops for you to jump that aren’t needed. The end goal is a safe structure that meets current building codes.

How much in advance do I need to call for inspection?
It is nice to have a days notice but in some cases that is not always possible. Calling as soon as possible.

What if I have a question about the size of a beam or a code requirement and need to talk to an inspector?
An inspector is in the office every morning between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. to answer those questions for you and help you get through the problems that arise. Calling always lets you know what will be needed and expected so there should never be any surprises or problems that you can’t get answers for before you need to know.Do the inspections cost money?
No. The costs of inspections and on site meetings to answer questions are covered in your permit fees.

Roof Snow Load – 40 lbs
Ground Snow Load – 57 lbs
Wind – 115 mph
Frost Depth – 42 inches


City Code Book

Zoning Map

Subdivision Map

2017 Contractor List


 Indian Lookout

North End of City

South end of City

City of Lander


Comments are closed.